Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Ross River, Mozzie Bites and a Grand Consignment of Goodies - A General and Rambling Update

I don't have any pearls of wisdom this week (although I might think of a Something of the Month for tomorrow... I'm thinking maybe CDs but there are so many good ones to choose from) so I'll just give you a quick update on the happenings in my life of late. Welcome to the first actual rambling random thoughts post. It's long so I've broken it into manageable chunks.

No visitors for Buckle :-(
Well, no one has excitedly emailed to say that they're coming to visit but it was worth a try. Meanwhile, I'm keeping a close eye on prices of flights with a view to possibly coming home next Christmas. Please note that I said possibly and not definitely and I don't know what the plans are yet but I'm sure many a blog over the next 12 months will discuss various possibilities in detail.

Ross River Virus

I haven't been feeling too well and am a little frustrated that some niggling virus appears to be coming and going for an extended period of time, making me tired, giving me a sore throat and sinusitus - yuk! The doctor said there was no point in giving me a blood test as none of those Yukky Viruses, such as Glandular Fever or Ross River Virus, can actually be cured and you just have to let your body get over it in its own time (great!). A guy at work (Matt) reckons that I've got Ross River Fever and he's had it before so he ought to know. He tested me by seeing how long I could hold a heavy boring IT book above my head. When he muttered "That was as long as I could manage" and I was still triumphantly holding the book aloft (although my arm was aching a bit) I thought "Yippee! I'm cured. Or perhaps never had the disease in the first place" but then Peter came in and said "I had Ross River Fever and didn't even know it!". I did some research and discovered that the symptoms are about as varied in severity as the individuals suffering them so who knows? And given the amount of mosquito bites I get ... (it's a blood borne illness spread by mosquitos the horrible, useless things they are).

Mosquito Bite Experiment Update

Speaking of mosquito bites, some of you may be aware that I suffer incredible allergic reactions at the probiscus of the mosquito and that I get bitten frequently, rose-skinned and fresh-smelling pom that I am. Well, I have another bite and it's horribly itchy but so far has refrained from transforming my foot-shaped foot into a balloon-shaped foot. Recently I have been taking Vitamin B1 (which is supposed to help) plus a multi-vitamin (to enable the body to absorb the B1) so maybe that's it. Or perhaps its the Miracle Aloe-Based Gel I got from Toby's aunt who markets Mannatech products which apparently restore our missing sugars (or something). But I actually suspect it could be the Miracle Toothpaste I purchased from the markets last week which is made in Malaysia from natural ingrediants and cures all manner of known illnesses. I'm thinking of presenting it to the APEC meeting in Brisbane to see if they've considered it as a cure for Bird Flu. And I'm quietly confident that if I eat it, it will cure my Ross River Virus.


A Grand Consignment of Goodies

When I was in the UK a few months back I spent many hours in my parents' loft sorting through the few humble belongings I have, wondering whether there might be one or two items I may wish to bring back to Australia with me, or perhaps enough to ship a box over. Well, much to our surprise Toby and I managed to find 180kg worth of items, mainly books (plus my Jamie Oliver pestle and mortar which probably weighs about 20kg alone but which no kitchen should be without and I just can't wait to start pounding the herbs from our glorious veggie garden) which we thought might be fun to have with us here. They've finally arrived and I am just waiting for them to clear customs. It's very exciting. Now we have to solve the logistical mystery of how to actually get them from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast as the six boxes they're packed into are too big for our little Subaru. Perhaps Toby's Dad and his trusty Millenium (oops I mean Ford) Falcon and the Shiney Green Trailer can help us out. And then I have to find places to put everything. Ohmigod!

The New Blog on the Block

A while back some colleagues of mine decided it would be a fun ruse if they all resigned and went to work for RMIT in Melbourne, fools that they are. Of course, the pull of the cosmopolitan culture-vulture Melb had more to do with the rather attractive contracting fees they were being offered than the actual cool-dudeness of the city itself and I can tell they're hankering to get back to the Coast to surround themselves with the likes of people like my humble self once more. In fact, they think I'm so cool and they were so impressed with my blog that they've started one of their own. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so naturally I'm touched. And it's rather good too. And they've linked to my blog (wow! my first link - I'm going up in the blogging world). And they've crowned me the blog Queen, which may be slightly more than I'm due but I shan't protest. Seriously though, I do miss them and the random conversations we used to have, putting the world to rights and discussing the serious issues (such as whether onions, cheese and sauerkraut are too much topping for a hotdog, and is "zshoozsh" really a word, and if so how is it spelt, and why are government forms so hard to fill in anyway?).

Warning! The next paragraph has a swear-word in it. Please ensure the eyes of any small children or easily-offended adults (particularly parents and grandparents) are averted. Teenagers and lager-louts, please read on.

So if you know them check out their blog at Praj and Brent's Half Arsed Blog (excuse the language. Sadie, please forgive me but I am merely reporting the name of the blog and do not wish to offend anyone, especially someone's parents or defile the innocent eyes of small children) and if you don't know them then why not check out the blog anyway and get to know them. They're good blokes.

Weeds Are Good
I've just remembered that I do have one pearl of wisdom and that is that I have just found out that apparently weeds are good for you! Check out Middle Path. But be warned, the site doesn't work too well in Firefox (won't let you scroll down the page - very annoying) so you might need that View In IE extension Praj mentions in his blog, if you use Firefox that is.

Wrap-up
Well, I think that's about it for now. We're off to Moreton Island this weekend so hopefully I'll have lots of lovely stories of lazing in the sun and snorkelling (have to relax and get rid of this Ross River Virus, you see) and maybe even some pics. Which reminds me, if I can figure out how to do it I'm going to add a photo of Toby's niece on the beach near our house at the weekend.


Zoe on Buddina Beach Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

brent said...

hmmm Malaysian Miracle Toothpaste eh, I have some snake oil if you are interested (Accept no substitutes!!)