Friday, January 13, 2006

Poetry: A walk on the beach during big surf


Crashing Wave
Originally uploaded by LinsB.
Ok, this is another first for my blog world.

Some of you already know that I make vague attempts at writing poetry. For the past few years I've wondered whether to share it. And now I've decided I will. I don't make any claims to be a great poet, I don't particularly want to be a great poet, it is merely a way of expressing myself when I'm inspired by something. If you like it, then great, if you don't then it doesn't matter. I'll pre-fix any poetry post with Poetry so you can avoid it if you wish.

By the way the title of this post is not necessarily the name of the poem (it doesn't have one) but it's what I was doing when I thought of the poem.

Here goes....

Like a mother, she nurtures and soothes.
Her earth-children seek refuge in her belly,
And admire her beauty and power
As they frolick in her embrace.

But today she is different, uncalm.
Her swollen, lumpy anger warns us to stay away,
She could turn on us at any time.
The children choose to watch from afar,
Unwilling to risk surrending themselves to her forevermore.

She rises and swells,
Her pride dark and heavy as she glistens in the sun,
And she sends her bands of white warriors
Marching onto the land,
Forming lakes and rivulets,
Depositing their foam flags which say,
"She has been here and will come again",
Before retreating to the frontline,
Ready to march again.

Today she is not angry,
She will not invade.
She merely seeks to warn us that she can,
To remind us to love and respect her,
That she provides us with food, water storage,
Transport and play.

And as we watch in awe we realise
That without her our world would be very different.

No comments: