Monday, November 07, 2005

TIP: How to put on trousers when your feet are dirty

Have you ever been in a situation where your feet are completely scruffy and you need to put on a pair of trousers but really don't want to get the inside of your trousers dirty because then your legs will get filthy too and if your feet are covered in sand it would also feel quite irritating? For the majority of you I expect the answer is probably no. But for those of you who are crying out "yes! that's me! I have frequently found myself in exactly that situation" then this is the post for you.

The following is a technique which I have developed over my years of camping on sandy beaches because I hate having sand in my trousers as much as I hate having it in my bikini bottoms or my bed. And that's a lot.

The first thing you need to do is from the body of the trousers reach inside and grab the bottom of one trouser leg. Pull it up inside itself until the bottom sticks out of the top (see figure 1). Do not pull it fully inside out.

Figure 1 - Pull bottom of trouser leg up through inside of trouser.
Figure 1.

Next, place your foot inside the inside-out trouser leg so that it is in fact only touching the outside of the trouser leg (which is of course now inside the trouser!). See figure 2.

Figure 2 - Place foot inside rolled-up trouser leg.
Figure 2.

If you're still following me (and it's probably easiest if you try as you read) then the next step is really simple. Pull the trouser leg up (see Figure 3).

Figure 3 - Pull trouser leg up.
Figure 3.

From the bottom of the trouser leg you can now pull down the section which is rolled up inside (Figure 4).

Figure 4 - Roll down bottom of trouser leg.
Figure 4.

Et voila! You should now have one sand-free leg fully inside the trousers (Figure 5).

Figure 5 - Et voila! Trouser leg is fully on and non-sandy.
Figure 5.

Repeat with the other leg and you should find yourself wearing a non-sandy (on the inside) pair of trousers (Figure 6).

Figure 6 - Repeat with other leg.
Figure 6.

This technique also works with cropped trousers and long shorts. It is generally unnecessary with shorter items of clothing (such as short shorts and undies) as the leg hole is wider but feel free to experiment. It is also a useful method to employ when finding oneself in a public swimming pool with a wet floor.

By the way, these pictures were taken on a recent trip to Moreton Island. Check the blog later for more info and a link to photographs of the weekend.

4 comments:

brent said...

tried it today... worked a treat. (However my workmates looked at me funny)

Unknown said...

Similar to when you were at USC then...

brent said...

oh haha...
... of course when i go to the beach i don't wear long pants, sometimes at USC I didnt either (see pic) but then the floor at USC wasn't all that dirty, and the need to remove one's pants didn't really arise...

Unknown said...

Which makes one wonder why you felt the need to remove your pants at RMIT. One can only assume that you were following my advice and trying out the instructions whilst reading the blog. Good practice for when you really do need to do it.

At least I hope that's what you were doing!