Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Important Announcement: Buckle can stay!

I have finally been granted permanent residency. The very nice gentleman at the Department of Immigration, Multi-cultural and Indigenous Affairs (I still struggle to see the connection between immigrants and indigenous peoples but such is the logic of the Australian government) handled my application with the utmost efficiency and called me today to let me know. What wonderful personalised service, thank you Mr Stephen Maclean.

I can now get a credit card and a new job if I so desire, and I no longer have to work in IT. Oh, the sweet taste of freedom.

So, next Tuesday I am off on a little adventure to the city where I shall be collecting a visa for my passport and 180kg worth of useless yet nostalgic items from the UK that I've decided I just can't live without.

(Don't cry, Bootsie, they can't make me stay if I don't want to!)

5 comments:

brent said...

Can we still kick you out if we change our mind?

Unknown said...

I think I have to do something really really bad first. Anyway, you're hardly a native Aussie yerself, you big kiwi!

Anonymous said...

Can you get us in now?

Unknown said...

Sure! With my expert knowledge of the Australian immigration system I'm sure I can figure out a way. Just give me some time to suss it out. We might have to get Clare in first though.

brent said...

I have a piece of paper that says I am an australian citizen (which is more than most 'real' aussies have). I bring it out on the rare occasions that the Wallabies beat the All Blacks.
...and it seems that this is the 'thin edge of the wedge' - the Buckle invasion seems to be gaining momentum.