Friday, May 23, 2008

What gets you through the bad times?

I was chatting with a colleague this morning about the relative merits, or lack thereof, of retail therapy. He was surprised that neither his wife, another female colleague nor I actually enjoyed shopping that much. It's not that I dislike it but the thought of spending my holiday shopping in Singapore does not exactly fill me with glee. However, on occasion I have been known to splash out on a coveted item, or even indulge in the odd impulse buy in order to congratulate or commiserate myself.

One such occasion was when I split up with last boyf six years ago. I decided to buy a couple of CDs to cheer myself up, including the ever-popular but quite pricey Ministry of Sound Annual (Spring 2002 to be exact. I think the other one was the Karma Collection). To my disappointment I discovered that I couldn't bring myself to listen to either CD - it was just too depressing - so they sat on my desk untouched for a week or two until I started to feel a bit better about things. And then I played Disk 1 of The Annual and the first song couldn't have been better: DB Boulevard's Point of View, about a chick who's going through a really rubbish time but figures that if you change your perspective things really aren't that bad. It got me thinking. Who would expect a dance tune to have such a deep and meaningful message? But it really did make me feel better. It's a nice tune too with a pretty cool video so I thought I'd share it with you. Listen to it when you're feeling down and see if it makes you feel better.



To be sure this girl's situation was far worse than mine. My ex-boyf was a lovely chap but, as time has told, not my lobster. And at least I still had a job, and money, and a nice flat (and lovely flat-mate) and lived in a city where I didn't need a car. (I particularly love the "We have split up" line. Straight to the point; none of this flowery, pathetic woe-is-me poetry.)

I don't have a cent!
Will I pay my rent?
And even my car doesn't work.
Me and my man, he's the one
To die for; we have split up!

Can't you see, life's easy
If you consider things
From another point of view
In another way
From another point of view

I see life and lights
All the colours of the world
So beautiful won't you come with me
I've seen birds and trees
All the flowers of the world
So beautiful won't you come with me


Wise words indeed!

Cool remixes:

No comments: