Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sowing the seeds of love

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
- Robert Louis Stevenson


I have sown some seeds. Actual physical seeds, not metaphorical ones, you understand.

I wanted to share this with you all because it's quite exciting. I sowed them last Sunday and placed them in a little seed box thingy which was left at the house by the last owners. I am sure there is a technical gardening term for the seed box thingy but I don't know it as I am a novice gardener.

I placed a few (between two and four because one was too tricky) in each little pot thing and there were about eight of these per small plastic tray. Again, I'm lacking the technical terms here but bear with me. I have two trays of green lettuce, two trays of red lettuce and two trays of baby carrots (yum! baby carrots).

I lovingly watered them every day for the first three days and then I panicked that I was drowning them and haven't watered them since Wednesday. On Thursday night it poured and we were a bit concerned about our other vegetables but my babies... well embryos I suppose... are protected in their little seed box thingy because it has a lid.

The purpose of these seeds is manifold.

Firstly, I'm sick of supermarket vegetables and Toby and I are trying to "go organic". The supermarket fresh produce can be very hit and miss but often it's over-sized and under-flavoured, covered in pesticides and been in cold storage for a few months.

Secondly, food such as lettuce seems to go mushy before we get to finish them. You have to go shopping fairly regularly to always have a fresh supply. It's great to be able to just pop into the garden and pick only the amount of lettuce leaves we need for that meal.

Thirdly, some veg, such as baby carrots, are a bit expensive for what they are.

So we're hoping to have a constant, fresh supply of seasonable vegetables, gain comfort from knowing exactly where they've come from and how they were grown, save a bit of money, and do something practical with our garden. I'm hoping to border our garden beds with red and green lettuce... I think it'll look quite pretty.

I'll let you know how the seeds get on. I'm anxiously awaiting my first sign of green. I plan to plant some more in a few weeks once these babies have graduated to the garden bed. This should ensure a continuous supply of goodies, providing my green thumb develops, of course.

It wouldn't be fair of me to end this post without mentioning what a fantastic job Toby has done preparing and planting the couple of vegetable garden beds we already have. Can't wait to start harvesting.

No comments: