Friday, April 07, 2006

Hermit Crab



Try as I might I simply can't think of a song with lyrics relevant to a hermit crab. For some inexplicable reason the words "Froggie went a hunting, he did ride, a-hum" keep springing to my mind and clearly they have absolutely nothing to do with crabs. I'm not even sure if they are the right words.

Anyway, because it was so beautiful at the weekend we went for a snorkel. It was so calm we were able to jump in off the rocks, something we can't usually do as there is nearly always at least a titchy tiny bit of surf. Usually we go off the beach and swim up a sandy channel and out around the rocks. We were at Shelley Beach in Caloundra. The visibility wasn't great, I guess because of all the storms we've had lately, but everything else was perfect. There were lots of fish to see and we tried to photograph some but they didn't come out too well due to the low viz. So instead we hassled the hermit crabs in the rock pools where we sat drinking beer after our snorkel. We even saw some weird hermit crab convention where they all climbed on top of one another (kind of like "pile-on", that weird game we used to play at school where one kid's on the ground and everyone else piles on top of him, except they were walking around). I got a movie of it which I will put online when I get the chance to edit it. Goodness knows when that will be.

No comments: