Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Yes, we really did get married!

With all the usual stress of moving, and the added trauma of not having anywhere of our own to go to, along with the fact that we don't have a moment's rest because we're still house-hunting, it's easy to forget that just a month ago we were celebrating our recent nuptials. The day went by in such a blur that I have to keep looking at the photos to remind myself it really happened.

Well, I had another reminder today. Grandpa called last night. He turned 80 on Sunday and was phoning to thank me for his birthday present. But there was more. Gran told me she'd taken the Sunshine Coast Sunday clipping of our wedding webcast story down to the office of the local paper where she lives in South Shields, The Shields Gazette, thinking they might be interested to see it. Were they ever! As Gran put it, she "opened up a hornet's nest". My grandparents, parents, sister and brother-in-law, were interviewed and photographed on Grandpa's birthday. Gran said they had a hoot and everyone was laughing so much she was worried about how she might look in the photographs. But I think she looks great in this one. Mam is worried about what her mother, my Nana, might think when she returns from her cruise and finds she missed out on all the action. I think she'll be a bit miffed but hopefully she's having a good enough time on holidays not to mind.

If you are interested in the article you can find it online at Shields bride makes cyber-history, which makes me sound a bit like one of the cyber-men from Doctor Who (back in the 80s). It fails to mention that the streaming is only really believed to be a world first due to the use of mobile technology but there are a few other little-known facts in there that you may not have realised.

For example, the aisle I walked down was 10,000 miles long. This amazed me. The walk up the long path from the car to the park, and then scrambling through the bushes took a while but I had no idea it was that far.

You may also be surprised to discover that my pregnant sister was sipping champagne at Aunty Betty's house. I thought she was at home in Newcastle being tee-total, the naughty minx.

I love the fact that they mention the friend in York that let it slip. You know who you are. Kidding! It wasn't a big deal that I found out that morning and in fact, I think it was a good thing. It actually slipped my mind until Doug said "Wave to all the people in Newcastle" and, had I not known, I probably would have frowned at him and said "What you talking about?" which wouldn't have looked anywhere near as cool as the clip Channel 7 used of me waving at the camera.

According to Mam they made the front page (see this screenshot of the website), page 5 and an editorial. I'm sure we'll get to see a copy just as soon as we have a house my parents can send it to.

No comments: