Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Yawn! Is it bed time yet?

Hello. I just thought I'd pop by and say hi as I haven't written an update in over a month. I've been somewhat fatigued over the last couple of weeks and today I feel like I could crawl under my desk and have a good old-fashioned snooze, or "power-nap" as they are called in professional circles these days. I've had quite a few days off work lately thanks to some mysterious virus... possibly the same mysterious virus that I had this time last year as the symptoms are similar. The doctor has put me on iron tablets and ordered that I go on holiday. Who am I to argue? Anyway, due to my recent sick leave I currently feel like I should just struggle through the day as best I can which is why I'm here and not at home having that old-fashioned snooze.

I'm not the only one mind. Toby has also been struck down with very similar symptoms and has been unwell for even longer than me. He has a potential name for his illness though - Dilbert Syndrome or something. It's a genetic illness which is triggered by spending too much time working or at a computer. I suspect he has inherited it from his father. Dilbert Syndrome affects the liver so together we're on a good liver, high iron diet. I'm not really sure what a good liver diet is but it's low in sugar and fat. A high iron diet also means avoiding certain foods that prevent the absorption of iron and these include some of my most favouritest things unfortunately: coffee, tea, red wine (ouch), chocolate (double ouch) and ice cream. I think though, that you only have to avoid them whilst you're actually trying to absorb the iron so a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate between meals should be fine.

On top of all this, not a day has gone by for about a month now when at least one person from my office has not been absent due to sickness. We're thinking of blaming the building we work in because it's horrible and must be responsible for something bad. The worst thing is the windows. When you're sitting they're at about eye level, maybe slightly higher. For those of us on the fourth floor this means you can just about see the tops of some trees that are about 1km away and lots of sky, maybe a couple of clouds if you're lucky. The windows are about a metre high and apparently this doesn't restrict our vision quite enough because there is also a metal grid on the outside of the building so in fact you can only just see the tops of the trees between the bits of metal. Our manager and section director don't have grids in front of their windows though... I swear the windows are lower too but that could just be because I'm usually standing when I'm in their offices.

The second worst thing about this building is the air conditioning. It's always really cold and some days are colder than others. Some days there is a perceptible draft. Today is one of those. So not only am I tired but I'm also cold. I was going to give you all a quick update on my wedding plans but instead I think I'll go make a cup of tea... iron disabsorber or not!

Tune in next week for wedding plans, car hunting and my Easter trip to Girraween National Park.... providing I get around to actually writing about it all, that is.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is. In summer it's quite nice as it's so hot outside but in winter it's torturous spending all of the daylight hours inside the cheese-grater jail when the weather is so gorgeous and warm and sunny outside.

Anonymous said...

Lins

You go all the way to Oz and complain of feeling sick, you can imagine how much simpathy I have for you. Looking forward to hearing about the wedding plans especially if it means that you will be visiting our distant shores once more. Will make sure that we do catch up this time. May have a chance to come out to Oz at the back end of 2007 so may see you there.

Unknown said...

Hi Nolan, welcome to the random world of Lins Down Under. Just because I'm living on the other side of the world, it doesn't mean there are no bugs here. You obviously have a very romantic idea of Australia and, I have to admit, I wouldn't change things right now. But, I tell you what! If you make it out here later in the year you can see what it's really like and whether it's as wonderful as you think (it is! Although, the bugs thrive on the warm weather as much as the people do). I guess when it comes down to it, no matter where you are, unless you're on holiday, you have to deal with real life, and that involves work, commuting, bills, wedding plans and bugs (of both the viral and insect variety). I'm just damned thankful that living here means it also involves sun, the beach, rainbow lorikeets, kangaroos, blue sky, warm weather, wearing flip-flops for work, king prawns .... look forward to seeing you later in the year. Keep me informed of your plans.