Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Severe thunderstorm on the Sunshine Coast

I will tell you about U2. I've been talking about nothing else all day. But first I wanted to share with you the amazing storm(s) I am surrounded by right now. Check out this Severe Thunderstorm Warning map from the Bureau of Meterology (BOM). I have placed a green dot at my approximate location (at uni) on the map. This is from about 30 minutes ago so we're pretty much in the thick of it by now. Note, I did not add the info boxes stating "This thunderstorm is very dangerous"; that's courtesy of the BOM.


It has gone from being as black as night outside to being very dark with an ominous green tinge. Usually that's an indication of hail. There is a lot of impressive thunder and lightening going on and the lights keep flickering. Sippy Downs, where the uni is, is notorious for losing power during electrical storms. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen whilst I'm writing this.

I'm starting to feel a bit queasy from all the charge in the atmosphere and my boss has just told me that his wife called to say a tree on their property has been struck by lightening and has fallen across their driveway. I'm more than a little concerned for all our pot plants at home but hopefully it'll lose a bit of severity when it hits the coast. Goodness knows when I'm going to actually get home judging by the number of storms on the map. I'll leave you with a BOM radar image of precipitation from about 30 minutes ago. Black is really bad - very heavy rain. As you can see, we're pretty much right under the black spot.

No comments: