Monday, October 16, 2006

Coolum Kite Festival 2006 and windsurfing

The Gist: Nice weather, minging weather, confused cat, juggling, Coolum Kite Festival - very impressive and well organised. Went windsurfing again for the first time in ages - yay!! Spent a week writing this post. The gist is fast becoming more like a list of tags than an executive summary really, isn't it? I've decided to place the entire gist in bold, rather than just the title - what do you think?

This post is so out of date it's not funny. Well, actually it is quite funny as it's completely incorrect so I'm going to have to rewrite it. I was talking about how minging the weather is after a perfect weekend. Well, we've had another perfect weekend but I wouldn't say the weather is minging today and the building isn't whistling like it was last Monday.


The main point of the post now is to say that I've put a few random photos of the Coolum Kite Festival from last weekend online: Coolum Kite Festival Photos

Last Saturday evening I headed up to Coolum with Scott and Lucie to check out the kite festival and had a fantastic time. I was really impressed with the level of organisation and the quality of the entertainment. From shuttle buses from the main car-park a couple of kilometres away, through a multitude of food options, down to spectacular air displays and great music, I take my hat off to the organisers and sponsors. Highlights were:
  • once again seeing local band Oka perform, although they were on a bit early and we were wandering around exploring and watching kites at that stage;
  • a RAAF Roulette fly-over doing crazy upside-down stunts and vertical falls;
  • night-time sky-divers who looked like shooting stars when they jumped from the plane and then let off bright pink flares when their 'chutes opened. They looked like magical pink fairies floating to the ground although I can't imagine the parachutists would be too thrilled to hear themselves described as such;
  • fantastic salsa band, Hot Mambo, accompanied by fireworks which had us all boogie-ing away in the sand, which is quite a challenge.

Check out some of the photos from last year at http://www.coolumkitefestival.com/framesets/frame17.html

In other news, I actually got to go windsurfing again this weekend, for the first time in months and Lucie took some fab photos. Here's one:


I challenged myself by attempting a bit of small open ocean swell but I didn't really like it that much. Bit bumpy, you see.

And that's about that really. I did have a lot more written but it's kind of irrelevant now.

OK! Hands up who's wondering about the confused cat and juggling mentioned in the gist.

No comments: