Friday, September 22, 2006

Weird and wonderful gadgets

The Gist: Completely distracted, three interesting gadgets: the vacuum cleaning Roomba, the USB rechargable battery and the titchy teeny "where on earth did I put it?" iPod Shuffle.

I'm having one of those dreadful days at work where you really do begin to wonder why you're there and what was it you were supposed to be doing again? I know you've all had them so don't come the innocent with me. And no, I wasn't drinking last night. Well, actually I was but not excessively and by that I do not wish to imply that I'm an alcoholic for whom a few drinks every night is an essential but I do enjoy a glass of wine now and then. In fact I'd had that particular bottle of wine since my birthday (2nd December for those of you that need a reminder and yes, it's coming up again soon).

From that first paragraph you should all now be gathering just how distracted and fragmented my mind is at the moment. Must perform a de-frag this afternoon. It could be to do with all the crazy brain games Toby's had me playing all week, such as seeing how many sequences of numbers you can remember, forwards and backwards (I reached 10 sets of 3 digits before I got bored but perhaps I wasn't playing properly), and spelling words forwards and backwards.

So, I thought I'd share with you all some weird and wonderful gadgets I have stumbled upon this week.

The Roomba
The Roomba robot vacuum cleaner. Practical.Firstly, I bring you the Roomba, a fantastic labour-saving device for all you working peeps out there with busy social lives and very little time (or desire) for housework. This little device will vacuum your floor for you. How brilliant is that? It's flat so it can get under furniture that you would usually struggle to reach (or just not bother) and it will even find its way back to base when it needs recharging. I really want one of these. How wonderful it would be to arrive home from work and find the vacuuming has already been done. You can get similar gadgets to mop your floor too. Now all I need are dusting and toilet-cleaning gadgets.


USBCell
USBCell, the USB rechargeable battery. Genius!Brilliant! I love this. It's an absolute stroke of genius. The USBCell is basically a AA battery which you can recharge by plugging it into the USB port on your computer. Oh what a wonderful world we live in. Apparently greenies think it's pretty good as you can recharge it whilst you're using your 'puter anyway. It only has 40% capacity of a regular battery due to the space taken up by the USB connector but who cares when it's so damn easy to charge anyway? These cost £12.99 for two and I shall be purchasing a few when I'm in the UK at the end of the year for use with my wireless keyboard and mouse.


iPod Shuffle
The titchy tiny iPod Shuffle MP3 player. Small.

This is more amusing than anything else. The iPod Shuffle claims to be the world's smallest digital music player and let's hope it is as anything smaller would be difficult to see, let alone operate. I was led to this titchy tiny gadget via Silicon.com's Weekly Round-up which makes mention of an episode of Saturday Night Live from a few years back which poked fun at Apple for releasing ever-diminishing iPods. Well, now they've gone and done it and as Round-up points out you need double-jointed fingers to use it (see image). Remember Zoolander's mobile phone? I'm amazed at the technology behind this, really I am. I mean it's just incredible that they can make something like this so small. But I mean really, does it have to be? No matter how many times I go to the website and look at the photographs I can't help wondering if this is a joke.





Climate change tip for the top: Well, it's got to be to replace some of your AA batteries with USBCells really, doesn't it? And that's about it from me really, although I would like to point you in the direction of some interesting articles I saw on the BBC website this week and also to encourage you to go and see Al Gore's film, An Inconvenient Truth (brilliant title), which I'm planning on seeing next week. I'll try and get round to letting you know what it's like.


State of California sues auto companies for damaging environment:
State sues car firms on climate

Should we spend money on climate change? The arguments for and against:
Wasteful efforts to curb global warming (Against)
Climate change remains top priority (For)

No comments: