Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Analyse this: Crazy dodgem-style car reversing dream

Welcome to the first in a series where I offer you my dreams for analysis, as suggested in my last post. Please submit your analyses by comment or email. Thank you for your anticipated help with this. You're saving me a fortune in therapist fees.

Some things had been going on within the dream leading up to the bit I'm going to tell you about. I can't remember what they were. They weren't very memorable. There were probably a load of us girls going out for drinks or something. But the bit I'm going to tell you about starts in the ground floor of a building, possibly a shop or something. It had the impression of a car show room but it was empty. It was on the spot where my best friend's parents' house is, in the street I grew up in but I don't think that's relevant. I dream about that street a lot because I spent so much time there.

There were about four of us, all girls. Only one girl is relevant and she is someone I was friends with at school but haven't really been in touch with since. I did randomly bump into her at the theatre once about seven years ago but other than that I haven't seen her for about fifteen years.

This girl was complaining that she'd somehow let her driving license expire and failed when she went to take her test again. Another of the girls suggested that it's to do with how she changes gear and gave her some advice which I was not privy too. The advising girl left, and the rest of us got into the car with the driving girl. Driving girl put the car into reverse to pull out of the parking space she was in and then kept going and entirely took her foot off the clutch like you have to do in the "reverse" maneuvre of your driving test (in Australia). Then she continued to move up through the gears, all the while in reverse (yes, I know that's impossible, bear with me here) but seemingly paying no attention to where she was going, apparently more intent on practising her gear changes. She was ricocheting from one parked car to another causing lots of damage. We were all yelling at her to stop and pay attention and eventually she did, freaked out and somehow drove her car into the shop we'd just come from.

So there we all were in the shop and at this point it became obvious that I knew the owner, who I actually think was Ron Dixon from Brookside. She decided to run away and I tried to persuade her not to. Then all the other girls ran away and tried to drag me with them. I explained that the car was registered in her name so she wouldn't get away with it but they pulled me outside and shut the door anyway. I then had to ring on the door bell to get the owner to let me back in. Obviously he wasn't very impressed to see a car in his building and I then had to explain what had happened, hoping to provoke some sympathy for my friend but he was having none of it, saying she still owed his partner (not sure if that was life partner or business partner but it was a female) money for the car.

Then I woke up.

Analyse that!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think there are a few key issues here:

The dreaming about where you grew up suggests you are missing those simpler times as a child, less responsibility and more fun time.

The one girl you haven't been in touch with is your subconcience reminding you that it has been too long and you really should get back in touch. Perhaps something you have experienced recently had reminded you of this girl?

I think the whole bit about the driving test is really insecurity about control. You seem to be worried that if you are not in control of the situation, all hell will break lose and you will be left to suffer the consequences.

brent said...

Life is a journey my friend, sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards, sometimes you might bump into things along the way but in the end you find that despite all the hard work you put into life you often just end up where you bloody started from having to explain where the hell you have been...

Like Kodos (as President Clinton) said in the Simpsons "we must move forward, not backward, upward, but forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

It could also mean that your friend is the last living decendant of Jesus.