Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Book of the Month: The Power of One, Bryce Courtenay

I have decided that Wednesday (which is also pay day and hence already a good day, except for every other Wednesday which isn't pay day and thus a slightly disappointing day) should be Something of the Month Day and to start with I've chosen Books.

I am currently reading The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay, a very popular Aussie novelist. A few people had recommended The Power of One to me over the last couple of years and then last week I was dropping some books off in the library when I stopped at some comfy chairs to put on some insect repellant before heading for the bus. Nearby was a shelf titled Recommended and on that shelf, lo and behold, sat the Power of One beckoning to me. Now, this was quite a find as the University library, much to my disappointment, does not have much of a literature section. I grabbed the book and almost missed the bus trying to get the librarian to find the books I'd just returned and check them back in so that I could check this one out.

It has had me in its grips ever since. It's about a young boy growing up in South Africa who, after a period of intense bullying at boarding school rather fortuitously meets an inspiring young boxer who insists the boy will one day be Welterweight Champion of the World. The story (which I am now about halfway through) follows the boy's efforts to recover from his traumatic boarding school days by educating his mind and spirit and learning to box. The descriptions of South Africa made me curious as to Courtenay's background and, having found no useful biography in the book, other than a few sentences on where he lives (a farm in New South Wales) and which books he has written (many), I checked out his website. It seems that this book is semi-autobiographical which only makes it all the more amazing. His ability to write about disturbing and taboo subjects, such as abuse, eating disorders, racism and alcoholism with a cheeky sense of child-like humour is both endearing and entertaining.

My only complaint is that so far twice in the book characters have said something along the lines of "should of" which is a real grammatical pet-hate of mine (I believe it should be "should have"). I've noticed this to be quite a common verbal mistake amongst Australians and so I'm unsure as to whether the mistake in the book is deliberate, or whether it is part of the Australian version of English. I should just remember that I'm in a different country and just because they speak the mother-tongue, it does not mean that all the same grammatical rules apply. Whaddaya reckon, Sheila?

For those of you who don't read books, I hear there is also a rather good film out by the same name. There is even a children's version. Courtenay is an extremely popular best-selling author over here and fortunately has written almost 20 books. He has spent over forty years in Australia and has written a number of books set over here, so I'm looking forward to checking out some of them next. Perhaps one of them will make another Book of the Month blog some day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...top book Lins, I really enjoyed it as well, although It was a long time ago when I read it. I remember really connecting with the book. I think I was 15 at the time and just started attending boarding school and Mum and Dad were living in Emerald which was hot, dusty and dry like the atmosphere Bryce Courtney portrays. I am sketchy on the specifics of the story now(dam that coffee and beer) but distinctly remember the train, Peekay meeting his friend and Courtney talking about making friends with whomever you end up sitting next to and from this point the book just geting better and better to the end. The underlying theme of Peekays fighting spirit in life was inspirational. Definitely going to have to grab it off the shelf and read again..Great Book!

I tried to move onto Tandia a year or two after I think, but didn't find it quite as captivating. Might be a different story now Zoe is on the scene.....

PS..Grab me a Chicko Roll Shazza :)

Anonymous said...

hmmm books... reading... if i ring will you read it to me instead? or perhaps you could just read it aloud when you are reading and send the tape :-)

Unknown said...

Now come on diddy! I know how much you like films and I did mention there's a movie.

(Would you be willing to pay me to make a tape?)