Tuesday, December 29, 2009

iHate Bloody Government Forms and Bureaucracy

Frankly, I find it hard to believe I haven't written more angry posts about government forms, but looking back over recent entries I see it is about 15 months since my last whinge on the matter. Which isn't too long when you think about how inactive my blog has been in the last year.

However, I can think of at least one other incident in that time frame, which didn't make it into the blog world.

This was the vexation caused by the crazy decision to place the application for the Baby Bonus and a child's Medicare card on the same form, despite the fact that they are dealt with by different offices. I had no end of trouble with this. To start with, the very first question on the form told me that if I didn't already claim family assistance I must not proceed before either calling the Office of Family Assistance, or filling in a form online. The name of the form was not given and a direct link was not given either so I chose to call instead.

Well, this was back in February/March, just after the Victorian Bush Fire Tragedy and the lines were jammed with people who needed assistance, so after days and days of trying I put some effort into finding the form online. Then, I discovered that I needed to register for Online Services, only the part of the site where you register was down and, it turns out, I needed a Customer Reference Number, which I didn't have because I wasn't born here. So two problems there.

Days later, after having the phone on constant redial, I finally got through to the office only to have some woman try to fob me off by telling me to fill in the form I was trying to complete in the first place. Then she tried to get me to do it online and I told her the website was broken. She wouldn't have it and told me I just needed to get a CRN and to be honest I can't really remember the details but I insisted she help me and she spent 45 minutes getting my details three times. Apparently the system kept booting her out. Then she said that my details would have to be linked to Toby's details but he was in a different location and had to be transferred over and this was as much as she could do to help me today. What?

So, I asked her to send the form that I'd been trying to get online and when it arrived it asked the same bloody question as the first form, and again, told me to phone or get online. Grrr..... I gave up. So Phoebe had no Medicare card and we couldn't claim any of her medical expenses. But that was all sorted out for me when we went to get her jabs and couldn't without a Medicare card. The doctor's receptionist sent me to the Medicare office and the lovely lady there helped me with everything.

This got me my CRN but I'm pretty sure I then had to spend about a day online completing a form to see if we were eligible for some tax benefit thing (we weren't), answering questions about everywhere I've been in the last 3 years (because that's relevant).

And now, I'm going through it all again.

The latest issue is the Child Care Rebate. The lady at daycare told me to fill this form in before my payment was due on Christmas Eve so that I could find out how much I had to pay.

Well, I tried. I spent days doing it again. I had all manner of problems, including the website going down. I had to answer the same crazy questions about all the holidays I'd been on in the last 3 years, and then I had to answer the same for Phoebe and Toby. And this is the bit that really gets me. They asked me which document I travelled on so I gave my British passport because I'd travelled more times with that than with my Aussie one. On the next page it asked me what sort of visa I had, despite the fact I had already answered a question indicating I was an Australian citizen. I assumed this was because I'd given them a foreign passport number so went back and changed it to my Australian passport number. It still asked me the same question. Don't they realise that you don't need a visa if you're a citizen? Anyway, I told them what my last visa had been (it was a mandatory question) but missed out the number (which wasn't mandatory).

When I finally finished, I was told that my claim couldn't be processed before I took proof of my citizenship and my visa into the office. I don't really see how I can show them proof of something I don't have but I'm assuming that I'll be able to explain myself and point out the stupidity of the system to the no-doubt intelligent humanoid behind the counter.

This morning I received a text message saying,
"You made a Family Assistance Online Claim on 22/12/09. Please return the requested documents ASAP if you have not already done so. Do not reply by SMS."
A bit brusque, don't you think? Some might even say rude. And very impatient. Especially given there have been two working days since 22nd and we were only 2 minutes into the third one. Nevertheless, I strolled on down to the office today, thinking that if I went to Medicare instead of Centrelink, perhaps the lovely lady could help me again and maybe explain why Medicare made out my rebate cheques, for bills I'd paid in full, to the doctors, rather than me. Yet another example of federal government department nonsense. As if I haven't paid those rather expensive doctors enough (nearly $300 in one case).

Guess what? Medicare was shut. I hopped on my bike and rode down to Centrelink, which is apparently my local Family Assistance Office. Guess what?! Shut!

So there they are, sending me demanding text messages making ridiculous requests for documents that don't exist and then they aren't even bloody there to receive the damn things. So now I have to go back again. Do you know what? I'm bloody pissed off with the whole damn thing. I suppose I am asking for money but wouldn't it just be typical if they decide we're not eligible for a rebate. I tell you what, if that happens again, I'll be a tad annoyed.

No comments: